Getting Started with OverDrive for eBooks and Audiobooks
Android and iOS (iPhone/iPad/iPod touch)
You will need your Greenwich or Perrot Library card number and PIN
Setup, Checkout and Download
- Install the free OverDrive app from the App or Google Play store.
- Open OverDrive and then sign in (or sign up) using your library card, Facebook or a free OverDrive account.
- Tap Add a Library, to find, save and access the Greenwich Library’s OverDrive collection in your app. Type “Greenwich Library” into the search box and then tap Search. Tap on Greenwich Library in the results list to be redirected to our collection and to add Greenwich Library to your My Libraries list.
- Use the keyword search box or one of the browsing options to explore the collection.
- Once you find an available title, tap BORROW under its jacket. If prompted, sign in. A banner will appear on the top of the screen that confirms your checkout and explains that you can see options for the title on your Loans page. Tap the Loans link in the banner, or you can tap at any time, to go to your Loans page. Tap (CHOOSE A FORMAT), then EPUB eBook to read the title in your OverDrive app or Kindle Book (if available) to read the title in your Kindle app. If you have borrowed an audiobook tap ADD TO APP (MP3 audiobook).
- You can also borrow a title from its details page, which you can view by tapping the title’s jacket. On the details page you can read a description, choose a lending period that’s different from your default lending period, borrow the title, and more.
- If you borrow a title from its details page, a button will appear that says ADD TO APP. If you select ADD TO APP, an EPUB format eBook or an MP3 format audiobook will be added to your OverDrive app. If you borrow an eBook title from its details page, but would like to read it in a format other than EPUB, do not tap ADD TO APP at this time. Instead, tap to go to your Loans page and view all of the options for your borrowed title.
- Tap on the three bars in the top left hand corner of the screen to open up the Home menu, and then tap Bookshelf. Your Bookshelf will contain any titles that you have downloaded to the app. Tap on a title to begin reading or listening.
Returning Titles Early
- If you have not downloaded the title yet you can return it from your Loans page (under ). To return a title from your Loans page, tap the Return Title button. *Once you download the title or add it to the OverDrive app, the Return Title button disappears from your Loans page.
- Once you download a title as an EPUB eBook, you can return it from the app Bookshelf. Tap and hold the title, then tap Return to Library. Downloaded Kindle books can be returned through Amazon’s website.