Getting Started with OverDrive for eBooks and Audiobooks
You will need your Greenwich or Perrot Library card number and PIN
Setup, Checkout and Download (ePub eBooks or MP3 Audiobooks)
ePub eBooks are read in your OverDrive app. If you would like to read titles in your Books app see Kindle eBooks instructions below.
- Install the free Overdrive App from the Amazon App Store.
- Open OverDrive, then sign in (or sign up) using your library card, Facebook or a free OverDrive account.
- Tap Add a Library, to find, save and access the Greenwich Library collection in your app.
- Use the keyword search box or one of the browsing options to explore the collection.
- Once you find an available title, tap Borrow. You can also tap the title’s jacket to open its details page. On the details page you can read a description, choose a lending period that’s different from your default lending period, borrow the title, and more. If prompted, sign in.
- Tap to go to your Loans page and see all of your options for borrowed titles. Tap (Choose a format), then EPUB eBook to add your borrowed eBook to the OverDrive app. If you have checked out an audiobook tap Add to app (MP3 Audiobook).
- Tap on the three bars in the top left hand corner of the screen to open up the Home menu, and then tap Bookshelf. Your Bookshelf will contain any titles that you have downloaded to the app.
- Tap on a title in your Bookshelf to begin reading or listening.
Download (Kindle format)
- Follow steps 1-5 above.
- Select to go to your Loans page. In order to download your book, tap or click (Choose a format), then Kindle book.
- You’ll be taken to Amazon’s website to complete checkout and send the eBook to your Kindle device.
- If you’re signed into Amazon, select your device from the Deliver to: drop-down menu, then select Get library book. The book will appear in your Books app.
- If you’re not already signed into Amazon, select Get library book. You will be prompted to sign in.
- Once you sign in, a page will open where you can select the device where you’d like to send the book you borrowed. Once you choose a device, select Continue. The book will be sent to your Kindle.
Returning Titles Early
- If you have not downloaded the title yet you can return it from your Loans page (under ). To return a title from your Loans page, tap the Return Title button. *Once you download the title or add it to the OverDrive app, the Return Title button disappears from your Loans page.
- Once you download a title as an EPUB eBook, you can return it from the app Bookshelf. Tap and hold the title, then tap Return to Library.
- Downloaded Kindle books can be returned through Amazon’s website. Sign into your Amazon.com account and select Manage Your Content and Devices. From Your Content, select the Actions button next to the book you would like to return. Select Return this book, then select Yes in the pop-up window.