Greenwich Library will continue its phased re-opening process the week of October 5, when patrons will be able to visit the new Innovation Lab and Flinn Gallery by appointment. The collections will remain closed.
“We’re excited to now offer access to the new Flinn Gallery exhibit and to introduce the equipment in the new Innovation Lab by appointment to the Greenwich community,” said Barbara Ormerod-Glynn, Greenwich Library Director. “We continue to offer computer access as well as many wonderful virtual programs, reader’s advisory and reference by phone, No-Contact Pick Up of books and materials, and access to audiobooks and eBooks through our extensive Digital Library,” Ormerod-Glynn said.
In order to ensure the safety of staff, patrons, and volunteers, please adhere to the following general guidelines:
• Same-day or next-day appointments are available to Greenwich residents and Greenwich Library cardholders 18 and older.
• Appointment holders should be prepared to show their Library card or driver’s license to verify eligibility.
• Once inside the building, all visitors will stop at the Welcome Desk for an escort.
• All patrons are required to wear a mask covering mouth and nose at all times and sanitize hands with supplies provided.
• Maintain social distance of at least six feet.
• No food or drinks are permitted; the water fountain will not be available.
• First-floor restrooms will be available on a limited basis.
• Elevators to the 2nd floor Flinn Gallery are limited to two passengers at a time.
• Anyone showing signs of illness should refrain from coming into the Library.
In addition to the general guidelines listed above, to visit the Innovation Lab:
• This service is available to Greenwich Library cardholders 18 and over who are already badged to use the equipment. For badging requirements, go to www.greenwichlibrary.org/innovationlab
• Patrons should book equipment by visiting www.greenwichlibrary.org/innovationlab.
• Upon arrival in the parking lot, call (203) 622-7979 to alert staff.
• One person per piece of equipment (no groups).
• Appointments are available in one-hour blocks.
• For 3D prints, patrons are encouraged to start the print and leave the building. Staff will place completed print on cart outside building for same-day pickup or arrange a scheduled pickup time.
Available equipment includes zSpace, a virtual reality learning tool; Lulzbot 3D Printer; and an Epilog Laser Cutter/ Engraver.
Appointments are available Monday, 1-4 p.m.; Wednesday, 1-8 p.m.; Friday, 1-4 p.m.; and Saturday, 10-4 p.m.
In addition to the general guidelines listed above, to visit the Flinn Gallery:
• Call 203-622-7947 to schedule a same-day or next-day appointment of up to 45 minutes.
• Upon arrival in the parking lot, call 203-622-7920 to alert staff.
• Gallery is open from 11 am to 3 pm, Tuesday through Saturday.
• Appointments are available at these times: 11:15 am, 12:15 pm, 1:15 pm and 2:15 pm.
“Material World” is the first exhibition of the 2020-21 season at the Flinn Gallery. The show features two painters – Leeah Joo of Middlebury, CT and Stephanie Serpick of Brooklyn, NY – and one fiber artist, Jennifer Davies of Branford, CT. All three artists bring the nuances and richness of materials, such as drapery, sheets, and paper to life through color, composition, and texture. Behind the physical appearance of folds, layers, and creases, there are hidden narratives based on what is visible, what is concealed, and what is imagined. The exhibit “Material World” runs through October 28. The Flinn Gallery is sponsored by The Friends of the Greenwich Library. For more information, visit www.flinngallery.com.
Access to computers, printers, scanners, copiers, the Bloomberg Terminal, and the VHS to DVD converter has been available at the Main Library by appointment since September 2. The lower level of the Byram Shubert Branch Library has been open for computer use since July 9.
No-Contact Pick Up continues, so Library visitors will not be permitted to browse books (or other library materials) on the shelves. Returns are quarantined for four days. All shelves are closed to the public. Patrons can continue to place holds on items and schedule a No-Contact Pickup time at the Library of their choice.
Please check our website at greenwichlibrary.org for updates or sign up for our Keep Posted e-news to receive updates in your inbox. Rest assured that Library staff are working on plans for the next phase of reopening and look forward to serving you further in the future!
No-Contact Pick Up and computer access are available at the Main Library Monday-Thursday 10-7, Friday and Saturday 10-4. Pick Up and computer access will be available at the Byram Shubert Library Monday-Wednesday 10-4, Thursday 1-7, Friday and Saturday 10-4. No-Contact Pick Up will be available at the Cos Cob Library Monday 1-7, Tuesday-Saturday 10-4.
The Library team is available to help access collections, virtual programs, and services. Visit our website greenwichlibrary.org for more information or call (203) 622-7900 to reach a librarian.